New Jersey allocates $161 million for road, bridge projects

November 7, 2023

The New Jersey Department of Transportation has awarded $161.25 million to more than 500 cities and towns statewide for road and bridge improvements in FY 2024.

All cities that applied received grants, although not all of the projects were funded. The competitive Municipal Aid grant program attracted 600 applications with a total of $384 million requested.

Project applications were evaluated and ranked by NJDoT staff and reviewed by an independent panel of New Jersey municipal engineers. Of the funding, $29.4 million is being awarded to 49 communities where the project will benefit low-income and minority populations. Five percent of the total money awarded will fund projects that support safety, walking and biking in cities.

Under the Municipal Aid grant program, each county is apportioned a share of the total funding based on population and the number of local centerline miles. Municipalities compete for portions of their county’s share. NJDoT provides 75% of the grant amount when a town awards a contract and the remaining 25% upon completion of the project.

The largest projects receiving state funding include:

  • $3.1 million to resurface streets in all five wards of Newark.
  • $1.9 million for the second phase of the Christopher Columbus Drive improvement project in Jersey City.
  • $1.31 million for improvements to West State Street and Sanhican Drive in Trenton City.
  • $1.1 million to improve various roadways that include Eighth Street in Camden City.
  • $1.1 for improvements to Hoover Road, Lafayette Avenue and Prospect Street in Passaic City.

Miles Smith

Miles Smith has more than two decades of communications experience in the public and private sectors, including several years of covering local governments for various daily and weekly print publications. His scope of work includes handling public relations for large private-sector corporations and managing public-facing communications for local governments.

Smith has recently joined the team as a content writer for SPI’s news publications, which include Texas Government Insider, Government Contracting Pipeline and its newest digital product, Government Market News, which launched in September 2023. He graduated from Texas A&M University with a bachelor’s in journalism.

Don't Miss

Massive support, funding now available to improve supply-chain networks

New opportunities for multimodal freight, rail, and port projects are
A hospital hallway.

New hospitals greenlit for Amarillo, Wichita Falls

The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) is searching