The Burr's Ferry Bridge.

Texas and Louisiana to share cost of Burr Ferry Bridge replacement project 

Louisiana and Texas – Plans are moving forward to replace an 82-year-old bridge that connects Texas and Louisiana over the Sabine River.

The estimated $40 million project involves constructing a new structure just south of the current Burr Ferry Bridge, also called the Sabine River Bridge, and rerouting a portion of state highway LA-8. The existing span will be demolished after the new bridge is complete.

The federal government will provide 80% of the funds, while Texas and Louisiana will split the remaining 20%.

Construction is set to begin in 2025 and take three to four years to complete. That timeframe coincides with the recent designation of the I-14 corridor, which will run from Texas to Georgia and cross the Sabine River at the Louisiana border.

The new structure is currently in the design phase and will feature 12-foot-wide lanes to accommodate modern traffic and 10-foot shoulders for added safety.

Although the current span is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it has deteriorated over time. It is being demolished due to a lack of interest and funding for its upkeep and restoration.

Government Market News Staff

Welcome to Government Market News, your trusted source for in-depth coverage of the U.S. government marketplace. Our dedicated editorial team provides comprehensive insights on contracting opportunities, private-public partnerships, funding programs, and industry trends. As a publication of Strategic Partnerships, Inc., we offer unrivaled expertise to help you navigate this unique marketplace successfully.

Don't Miss

Massive support, funding now available to improve supply-chain networks

New opportunities for multimodal freight, rail, and port projects are
A hospital hallway.

New hospitals greenlit for Amarillo, Wichita Falls

The Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC) is searching